Welcome to my blog.

The day-to-day ramblings of my life. Everything from Sabe to Sorrdid Lives.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The over use of the exclamation point.

Okay humans, some of you need a lesson on the proper use of the exclamation point. Please note the following excerpt:



An exclamation mark, exclamation point, or bang (!) is a punctuation mark usually used after an interjection or exclamation to indicate strong feelings or high volume, and often marks the end of a sentence. Example: "Watch out!"



It should go without saying that one (1) exclamation point is enough to convey your sense of excitement (or other strong feelings). However, it has become acceptable to place multiple (and by multiple, I mean over five) exclamation points behind a statement.



This is getting ridiculous!



*** See how I used one and still got my point across.



A sentence written like this means I'm really excited!



This sentence means I got a huge promotion and my boyfriend asked me to marry him!!!



A sentence written like this means I had 16 red bulls for breakfast and a shot of cocaine for lunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



And I'm on a sugar high!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Or, a ninja attacked me in a dark alley and now my broken finger won't get off the keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Another over-use of the exclamation point:



LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! U crzy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG ROLFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously? Those aren't real words people.


Some things do require an exclamation point. For those of you who have seen "The Sniffing Account" episode of Seinfeld, you should know that I agree with Elaine. There is certainly a need for this punctuation mark, I just relish the overuse of it.



You may now return to your regularly scheduled Monday.

No comments: